Tuesday, October 29, 2019

When life gives me lemons, it also gives me new jewelry


I was making a pendant the other day to be put up for sale in my Etsy shop. I had a beautiful round labradorite cabachon that I intended to transform into a Two-Trees necklace. I had been working on the piece for an hour or so and was nearly finished, when I pressed the pliers too hard and heard a heartbreaking 'crack' sound. I looked at the stone, and there was a crack across the entire length of it. The stone was basically broken in half, but still held together firmly by wire. I made sure the piece wasn't going to fall apart, and then decided to finish it.




Of course such an item can't be put up for sale, so I simply kept it for myself. I am now a happy owner of a brand new labradorite necklace.



I've worked with hundreds of gemstones over the years, so it's inevitable that I brake one every now and then. Most of them are broken beyond repair, but some of them are still salvageable. For example, I currently have two crochet bracelets that I made with stones that were chipped on one side. That's actually how I came up with the crochet bracelet design in the first place - I was trying to find a way to cover up the chipped part of the stone.




So there you have it. Every time a gemstone breaks under my pliers, I get a chance to have some new jewelry for myself, or even to create some brand new designs.


Want to learn how to make jewelry yourself? Check out these jewelry making tutorials I made for you:

- Wire-wrap tree ring

- Wire-wrap leaf pendant

- Wire-wrap tree pendant




No comments:

Post a Comment